Mcintosh MA-6500 OR Mc-162 amp with c-15 preamp ?

Hello

I can either get a Mcintosh MC-162 amp w/ C-15 Pre for 1700 or MA6500 integrated for 2200. (price difference of 500)

Both= used condition. Havent heard pre/amp combo so quality wise dont know how better/worse it is from 6500. I heard 6500 & was blown away.
They say separates are better, but what do u suggest in my situation.
I hear c15 was made when clarion bought em & clarion was on mcintosh's butt about makin somethin affordable (1500$ msrp of c-15) & I hear c15 wasnt a "mcintosh" product since most parts inside are cheap parts. I also hear 6500 is exact same as mc-162 & c15?. So Im in a dilemma & not sure which to pick. My speakers are 805S B&W.

Please let me know which one I should get in terms of better sound quality

Thanks
rajkumarimk

Showing 2 responses by sid42

I don't know where you got your info on the C15, but it isn't a piece of junk as you suggest. I've owned one, and it is a good unit and affordable. As far as I know, Clarion's ownership of Mac didn't diminish their product at all. In fact, Carion did many things to help Mac, especially giving them a water-cutting machine to help make the faceplates better.
I agree with Rwwear, I think the info you were given is suspect. His analogy makes sense. The question should be, do I have the room for seperates, or should I stick with a single unit. The seperates give you more flexibility, in that you can change either the preamp or the amp at a later date and not have to scrap the whole setup. That's the route I'd take, if it was me. All the pieces you mention are excellent sounding.