McIntosh MA 352 or C22 Mk V?

We recently put together a dedicated two channel system consisting of McIntosh MA252, Linn LP 12 TT, B&W 804 D3 speakers, Bluesound.  Our room is 15’ x 25’, with the listening portion in the front half, pool tale in the back half.  For 60-70% of our listening the MA252 (100 WPC) is good. There are times when I want to listen at higher volumes I am running out of power - tubes go from green to white.  I have two schools of thought.  Upgrade to a MA352.  I also own an older Levinson No. 333, that is in my home theater running my front channels.  I have considered pulling this out and adding a C22 Mk V preamp for the two channel system.   My concern is that I am living on borrowed time with the amp, as I know the caps will need to be replaced anytime and then I will either need to recap or upgrade the amp.  Thoughts?

goducks44

There are times when I want to listen at higher volumes I am running out of power.

That amp will last a long long time, I would not worry about the caps that much.  Your 804s need serious power and low impedance capability. The Levinson is the best choice for that.    

I can only say what I would do.  1) buy the C 22 and run it with the Levinson amp.  The amp is old but it may have years of life left in it and it should have a lot more grunt than your present amp and if the Levinson goes belly up you can get it fixed or buy something else at that time. or 2) sell the MA 252 and buy one of the big solid state integrated Macs with autoformers (MA 7900, MA 8900, etc) or 3) go all in with the C 22 and a new amp with a lot of current like the MC 462.  The last two are assuming you would want to stay with McIntosh.  Boy, I enjoy spending other peoples' money.

I think the first choice is probably the best.  It fixes your current issue and allows for updates down the road.

Yes sir, spending others $$ is fun.  I did fail to mention - one still in college!  Thank you for the feedback.

So your speakers are bi-amp able? If they are, that is your answer. Add a pair of class Ds to run the bass and you won't be running out of gas an time soon. 

As far as C22 sure looks like a Mac with XLR.. Kinda cool. Same circuit as the C2500, just no DAC..

Mac and Mac they just go together. As far as speakers, work with what you got!! I've set up a few B&Ws. Around here they are know as torpedoes. I had a few pairs. 800 D3s for over a month. Nice speaker. I used 601 mono blocks and a C2600. The guy was stuck on several drill platform setups with new equipment.
That mean at least a year living out of a stupid helicopter. Noisy pieces of crap.

I miss that, just about like kidney stones.

Regards

So your speakers are bi-amp able? If they are, that is your answer. Add a pair of class Ds to run the bass and you won't be running out of gas an time soon. 

! agree!