McIntosh D100 variable vs fixed outs soundstage

Due to a non-ideal series of purchases, trade-ins, etc in building my new system, I have ended up with a McIntosh D100, MA6300 integrated (used as preamp), and MC275 Mk. VI power amp.

In experimenting with the D100 variable outs fed directly into the MC275 versus feeding the fixed outs into my MA6300 then pre-outs to the MC275 I believe I am perceiving a greater depth to the soundstage and an overall more pleasing sound when when the D100 is fed through the MA6300 on it's way to the power amp. I'm feeding balanced to the MA6300 and single ended to the MC275 (seems to be general consensus that the 275 does best with single ended inputs).

I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with the variable vs fixed outs on the D100. I'm also considering trading the MA6300 back in towards a proper pre-amp since I'm now using the MC275 as the power amp. I'm wondering if anyone could make a recommendation on which models I may consider. I'd also consider taking the D100 in with the MA6300 if one of the available preamps could effectively combine the two feature sets without significant compromise in sound quality or character. According to the response I got from McIntosh on this, none of the current preamp models match the D100 in terms of technical performance. What do ya'll think?
radambe

Showing 1 response by lapierre

C2500 or C220 tube preamps are without the digital inputs. What about the C48 that might work as well? It's solid state with 5 eq controls.