Mcintosh C2200 VS Mcintosh C200 S STATE ?

anybody listen to these 2 pre amps, one tube the other the top o the line S State any opinions ??
Ag insider logo xs@2xsuperhonestben

Showing 1 response by jgiacalo

I did not compare the two before purchasing the C2200; I was so impressed with it compared with other brands (SS) I tried - Edge, Levinson, Herron, Chord - and my previous Rogue 99 Magnum that I couldn't resist it. One thing to consider, however, is the ability to rube roll with the C2200 which a solid state unit does not permit. Since owning the C2200 from early Dec 2004 I have replaced the original Chinese tubes with several brands - ElectroHarmonix Gold Pins, Mullards, Telefunken and Amperex - and each change brought a significant change in sound as well as improvement over the stock tubes. I settled on Amperex in the line section with Telefunken in the phono section. Also, adding Walker SST contact enhancer to the tube pins yields even greater sound clarity and punch. Unfortunately, you cannot tube roll a demo for comparison with the SS unit. It is a tough decision. I'm sold on the C2200 and highly recommend it especially if you like fine tuning/tweaking.