McIntosh C220 C2200 C2300 differences?

I am thinking of getting a Mac preamp to match my SS amp (an upgraded McCormack, perhaps a Mac MC275 down the road). Looking at the C220 and C2200 primarily. What are the sonic differences between these two? What about the C2300? A dealer nearby has a demo unit he would sell for $4600, but I don't know if it is worth nearly the 2x cost. I don't listen to vinyl
chiho

Showing 1 response by downunder

IMO the c2300 is the superior music maker compared to the c2200. The c2300 bass is quicker and better defined and top to bottom it has better coherence without any frequency bulges. The c2200 has a definate peak in the upper mids/lower treble which gives it a forwardness/brightness which I did not like.
The c2300 has on the fly (by remote) bass and treble as well as on the fly MC and MM impedance changes which is very kool.

If you do not use vinyl at all, don't mind the c220 not having on the fly bass/treble adjustment and looking to save money - perhaps the c220 would be the better option. I have not heard it hut I believe it is closer in sound to the c2300 than the c2200.

good luck