McIntosh C 2300 vs BAT VK-52SE/51SE

Hello I currently have a BAT VK-3I that I would like to upgrade. I am looking to buy used.

Was wondering which is the better performer? I know that the 52 is better then the 51. The 2300 has a phono preamp which I would not use. I currently have a BAT VK-P10SE that I will be using for the phono preamp. In the future for a power amp I was thinking along the lines of a McIntosh MC602.

Used 2300's go for around 4500 hundred. Used 51's go for around 3500 and more than likely have been used more. The 52 I do not see many of them for sale so I am not sure what they are going for.

The budget does matter but the thought process is that the 2300 is fairly new and may last me quite some time. The 51 is better on the budget but how long will it be before I am ready or need to move on due to its age. The 52 will be harder on the budget but like the 2300 will last me quite a while. If the thinking is that a 51 out performs a 2300 I may just go that route and in a few years see what happens then. Maybe upgrade to a 52 at that time.

Appreciate any responses.
warpig

Showing 3 responses by warpig

Beewax Thanks for the info. The MC602 will be down the line a little. I think my money currently would be best used towards a preamp.

Effischer Thanks also. I have not done that much research on the McIntosh equipment. This is kind of the first shot at it. Reading reviews really is kind of subjective. Unless the equipment is really bad. Its nice to get individuals input that may have had this equipment themselves.

Again Thanks
greg
Jmcgrogan2 Truthfully I have not had the pleasure of hearing either of them. I am just going buy what I researched and have read. Unfortunately there is know way for me to make a comparison without buying each one.

As far as age goes I do know that electronics will go at some time and being older does not mean it will go first. I know capacitors will need to be replaced eventually. When will that be I have know idea. I am currently using a 3I which is fine. But I have a lot of other audio electronics that have gone out. I am an individual who can not and will not buy a system every few years.

Perhaps I should have stated it is my understanding that the 52 is better than the 51. If I have offended you I apologize.

Thanks for the input.
greg
Zd542 I have never heard a McIntosh before. I do love the sound of the BAT equipment I own though.

Btselect A dedicated 20 amp breaker more than likely will not happen any time soon. Where the stereo is located without tearing out some sheet rock it would be very hard to get a line there. Believe me I have given it some thought. If I new which caps and what type to upgrade to that would be pretty sweet. I am handy with a iron and do do nice work. Would the caps be the only thing or would I need to upgrade the transformer also? If I am not mistaken it is one of the first 3's.

Anyway thanks all for the replies.
greg