McIntosh C 2300 vs BAT VK-52SE/51SE

Hello I currently have a BAT VK-3I that I would like to upgrade. I am looking to buy used.

Was wondering which is the better performer? I know that the 52 is better then the 51. The 2300 has a phono preamp which I would not use. I currently have a BAT VK-P10SE that I will be using for the phono preamp. In the future for a power amp I was thinking along the lines of a McIntosh MC602.

Used 2300's go for around 4500 hundred. Used 51's go for around 3500 and more than likely have been used more. The 52 I do not see many of them for sale so I am not sure what they are going for.

The budget does matter but the thought process is that the 2300 is fairly new and may last me quite some time. The 51 is better on the budget but how long will it be before I am ready or need to move on due to its age. The 52 will be harder on the budget but like the 2300 will last me quite a while. If the thinking is that a 51 out performs a 2300 I may just go that route and in a few years see what happens then. Maybe upgrade to a 52 at that time.

Appreciate any responses.
warpig

Showing 2 responses by btselect

Greg,

First off I would recommend that you stay with just one brand, in this case both manufacturers offer a complete line of products so you're lucky.

I can only speak about the BAT gear so hear goes. To get the most out of their preamps that have the supertube, you should have a 20 amp dedicated circuit just for the preamp and no line conditioner, etc. Their supertube products are like nitro fueled cars you need the nitro fuel to get their full potential. So if you are sharing components on one line and using a line conditioner, etc., their 6922 versions are better suited for you.

I would only recommend buying their used gear if you are capable of repairing and upgrading the parts of the unit you are buying. For me the best preamp they made for the money is either the 31SE and 51SE (the more power hungry unit- 8 supertubes). By changing out and upgrading all the caps both units can almost rival a stock Rex preamp.

As for your 31, it's one hell of a great unit if you change out and upgrade all the caps and beef up selective ones.
Greg,

To do this job you would need a desoldering gun, I use a Hakko 808, for the money you can't go wrong. It took me years to master this tool, in fact I am still learning to use it. The best is to buy the kit that has almost all that you need, I would buy a 1.6mm tip part #A1007 to do the 250v 470uf caps, use the 1mm tip that comes with the kit to do the smaller 16v 10000uf and 16v 100uf caps, and I believe it came with additional filters if not, its part #A1033. All you need to do is replace all the caps, I also change out the tube sockets to the gold plated ceramic ones just like the ones in your unit except they're gold plated. The reason for this is because I would use the current gold pin Gold Lion tube from New Sensor.

If you are game it would be easier if I could get your email so I can further discuss this with you, if this is possible on this web site.