McIntosh 402/B&W 803D Question

I just purchased a pair of B&W 803D speakers, and realize that my VTL MB 185 amps cannot drive the speakers adequately for rock music. I am now considering the McIntosh 402 amp as it has been recommended for these speakers. My question is, would my VTL 5.5 preamp match well with this amplifier? A few years ago I had a McCormack DNA 250 which had too much gain for the system (30db) and McIntosh does not provide the amplifier gain in their specifications. Thanks for your comments and opinions. I have listed some of the VTL 5.5 specifications:

Gain 20db

Output impedence 195 ohms

Input impedence 20K ohms
dirk

Showing 1 response by cmalak

Dirk...the MC402 specs can be found here: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-mc402-stereo-power-amplifier.asp

If the VTL 5.5's output impedance is 195 ohms and the input impedance of the MC402s is 10Kohms (single ended) and 20Kohms (balanced), then there should be no impedance mismatch between the units. You want at least 10X input impedance of power amp to output impedance of pre. In this case you get 50x+. So you should be ok. The specs do not specify gain but you should be able to get that by calling up McIntosh. I have no experience with the amp so don't know its sonic attributes but purely on paper from an impedance matching point of view, that combo should work.