Mccormack DNA125 or Belles 150A Hot Rod

I'm in the market for a new amp and trying to decide which one would give me the best sound and value. I'm unable to audition either. My pre is a VTL 2.5 and speakers are Infinity Kappa 8.1 (89db).
Thanks for any input.
mfb33

Showing 6 responses by stevemcx

Zaikesman, your review of the DNA-125 is spot-on. I (for one) wish that all reviews were this clear and to the point. The problem, of course, is that many readers do not share your experience with the DNA-500 or your tube monoblocks, and so have more difficulty understanding the context of your comments. Still, if people will read your comments carefully, they will wind-up with a better understanding of what the DNA-125 *actually sounds like* than they will get from any other review. The only thing better is to listen to it themselves ;-)

My thanks to all who took the time to comment on their experience with my amplifiers.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
Ozzy62 -

Yes, the stock DNA-2 comes with a very large Plitron toroid.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
The DNA-125 will drive most difficult, low-impedance speakers very well in normal-size rooms. A friend of mine uses the DNA-125 to drive his Apogee Stage speakers and it does a fine job. It will also do a good job of driving the Kappas, although it may be argued that the DNA-225 would be a better choice if the room is very large. You are correct, of course, that the DNA-2 is "more capable." It is a much larger, more expensive amp (out of production for several years, now) that will deliver 300W per ch into 8 Ohms.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
Hi Phd -

The phono card (new and improved, by the way) lists for $425, and should be available for order through any McCormack Audio dealer. Please contact McCormack Audio in Virginia if you need specific dealer information.

McCormack Audio of Virginia
2733 Merrilee Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22031
703-573-9665 voice
703-560-5360 fax
www.McCormackAudio.com

The phono card is a simple plug-in module that you can install yourself. Just unplug your RLD-1, remove the cover, locate the phono card connector and remove the jumper that is currently in place, and plug-in the phono card. Screw-down the 4 retaining nuts and select the proper gain setting, and add any input loading resistors you might want. Reattach the cover and plug everything back in, and you're set.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
Well, I've said this before, and I don't mind saying it again... The use of toroid power transformers does not *guarantee* anything beyond a certain type of radiated field geometry and a relatively high price. Properly designed E-I core transformers are perfectly capable of exceptional performance and offer superior value. Don’t get me wrong - I do like toroids and I sometimes find their characteristics quite useful, but as a group, they do not deserve their over-inflated reputation. I design products for high performance and *value,* and E-I transformers are essential for this goal. I spec power toroids for those relatively rare times (at least for me) when cost is not an issue, and then I source them from Plitron, who make the best toroids I have found. And I pay…a LOT!

Best regards and a Happy July 4th!

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com
Hi Hoopster -

You are correct that the Plitron toroid transformer is included as part of the Platinum upgrade, but the Plitron may also be added as an option to other upgrades. The cost has increased just recently, and is now $525 (as an added option). This Plitron provides a very large increase in current capability for the "smaller" amps (DNA-0.5 & DNA-125) as well as a nice improvement in overall sound quality.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
www.SMcAudio.com