McCormack DNA-1 vs DNA-125

I am very tempted to get the DNA-1, but I am surprised that the price is only about $200 cheaper that the DNA-125 in Audiogon. I think the DNA-125 is a much new model, if not better, can I safely assume it is as good as the DNA-1? What are the differences in the sound between the two? And I have a pair of B&W CDM9NT speaker. B&W speakers are well know for needing alot of power (or current). Will the 125W DNA-125 enough to drive them? I don't turn up the volume, because I usually listen to music at night.
gte357s
The DNA-125 will do an excellent job driving your B&W speakers. The DNA-1 does deliver a bit more power (185W vs. 125W into 8 ohms) and has a larger power transformer, but the practical differences in power are small. If you were in a large room and wanted to play at "live" levels, it would make more sense to go for the higher power output, but since you have already described yourself as tending to listen at lower levels, this isn't an issue. Have no fears about the DNA-125's abilities, either - if you get carried away and want to crank it, it will do just fine.

The DNA-125 is a newer design and in my opinion delivers better overall performance, but as always in this hobby, opinions will vary. Both amps will do a fine job with your speakers (and most others) and both may be upgraded if you care to do so.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for your reply, I guess I couldn't get better answer by the designer of the unit. But I am a bit confused. Is the DNA-1 185 wpc? I read the review in stereophile and some other places, it said it is 150wpc. Is the 185 wpc for the deluxe version?
All DNA-1 amps deliver the same power. The DNA-1 was originally rated conservatively (by me) at 150W per channel into 8 ohms. We later revised the spec to reflect the true power at clipping - 185W per channel into 8 ohms (continuous power, both channels driven).

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio