McCormack DNA-1 vs. Adcom GFA-5802

Relative noob here. I'm looking for a new (used) 2-channel amp to power my new Polk LSi9 bookshelf speakers. I've pretty much decided that I want to get the McCormack DNA-1. I've considered the Parasound Halo 23, as well as the Adcom GFA-5802, but it sounds like the McCormack DNA-1 is the better amp, according to a number of folks (unfortunately, I'm unable to personally listen to any of them).

My question is this: if the McCormack is the better amp, why is it priced around the same place as the Adcom and the Parasound in the current used market? I realize that the Adcom has a bit more power, and Parasound has made some great amps, but people seem pretty unanimous in preferring the DNA-1 for sound quality. What gives? Am I missing something? Is the used market just not as rational as I thought it would be, or has the superiority of the DNA-1 to the Adcom GFA-5802, and the Parasound Halo 23, been overstated? Is it just a matter of taste? Preference for the DNA-1 seemed to transcend mere fanboy-ism.

Thanks for any input.
bthogan

Showing 4 responses by bthogan

Thanks for replies! I've thought about the age issue, but as Djohnson54 noted, Mr. McCormack is available for help if I need it. The Adcom isn't that much younger...I guess the Parasound is the most recent of the three.

More importantly, I'm hearing the same comments here that I've read elsewhere (a lot): the McCormack is just in a different class, in terms of sound quality.

I may try out the Parasound when it gets a little older (and cheaper). For now, though, I think I'm gonna go for the McCormack. I'll also take a look at the DNA .5 - thanks for recommendation, Tbromgard! The thing is, there are a few DNA-1s available at the moment, here and elsewhere, and one thing I've learned so far is that it may appear, at times, that certain items will always be up for sale...but that's not always the case...

In any case, thanks again for replies. Very helpful.
A follow-up:

A bit of research has convinced me that you're right, Mr. Tbromgard. The DNA .5 looks like it might be just what I'm looking for: 4 ohms @ 200wpc. Furthermore, a number of people think that it has better sound quality than the DNA-1, in smaller rooms, with smaller speakers and at lower volumes (my exact situation). Might even be cheaper. Unfortunately, there are none to be found at the moment. If one should become available some time in the next month or so, it shall be mine.
Thanks for all suggestions! The Adcom gfa-5802 was what I was gonna go with originally, and I'd still pick one up if I could find one for $600 or so. I came across the DNA-1 while looking for used 5802s. If I could find a 5802 for a bit less than a DNA-1, I'd grab it.

My main problem, which I think many folks here can sympathize with, is that my money appears to be burning a hole in my pocket. I'd love to get a modded/Rev'd DNA, or a DNA .5, but there don't seem to be any around, and I haven't seen any since I started looking a few months ago. I would certainly save money on the mod/revision that I'm sure I'll eventually get. However, there are a few DNA-1s floating around right now, at an acceptable price. I feel pretty certain that if I pick one up, Mr. McCormack will still be doing his thing by the time I collect enough box-tops to afford a mod.

For now, the plan looks like: pick up a DNA-1 in a week or two, and take Stereo5's advice and put some notices for modded/Rev'd/.5 DNAs. I've been flipping computer parts for a few years now; just a matter of learning to work with bigger boxes...
@Pbredi: I saw that .5 Deluxe...it was gone very quickly after it was posted. Unfortunately, I'm not the person who grabbed it. I also saw the DNA-1 Deluxe...slightly above my pay grade at the moment.

However...I found a DNA-1 for ~$700 elsewhere (before the Deluxe was posted), and it'll be in the mail to me as soon as the check clears. It would have been nice to get the Deluxe; it would have saved me some money when I inevitably send it to Mr. McCormack for the B Revision (I think it's called Silver now). But I'm pretty happy with what I paid for the "standard" version (assuming it works). If things don't work out, I may come back to that Deluxe, if it's still available.