McCormack DNA-1 Gold or DNA-225

I'm looking for a DNA-225, but am on the fence between a DNA-1 Gold revision.

If I go with the DNA-1, then I will likely send it off for a fresh Gold revision. Next option is find a DNA-225 and hold off on the mods for awhile.

My question is, how does the current DNA-1 Gold stack up to a 225 in stock form?

I'm looking at more $$$ to upgrade a 225 down the road and from what I hear an upgraded 225 is quite nice.

I know this is subjective but any opinions are greatly appreciated.
dyl71

Showing 2 responses by soix

A while back I spoke with Steve about this, and he said the DNA125/225 were roughly on par with what was the Rev B upgrade mods in older models. If that’s the case then a DNA1 Gold is likely to be significantly better than a stock 225. By far your best value IMO would be to wait for a DNA1 to come up used with Rev A or Gold upgrades already done since you’re basically getting big discounts on both the amp and the mods. That said, there’s a DNA1 with silver upgrades available here now. If you can get a good deal on that it will obviously cost much less to upgrade to gold level. I’d be sorely tempted if I’m you since modded DNA1s don’t show up all that often.  Hope this helps and best of luck.

Congrats!  As a long-time DNA-0.5 Rev A (now considering upgrade myself) owner I'm sure you'll be thrilled.  Keep us posted once you get it broken in.