McCormack DNA-1 compared to Parasound HCA-1500A

I know this may seem like a ridiculous comparison to some of you, but I want to understand the real differences between mid-fi and hi-fi amps (other than cost). I know the DNA-1 can drive 2 ohm loads, but aside from that, what audible differences exist? I know that specs aren't the be-all-end-all, but they're all I have to go by. I own the Parasound and I'm happy with the sound, but I plan to biamp, which begs the question whether I should upgrade. I haven't heard the DNA-1, but I've read stellar reviews about McCormack amps and it's piqued my interest. Ideally, I want my system to disappear and create a natural soundstage with a tight bottom end. I'm currently driving a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20i's. They may be the weakest link in my system, but I like their sound and I can't afford to upgrade right now. A biamp arrangement will benefit any future speaker I bring in. Associated equipment: Anthem Pre-2L, Rega Planet 2000, Rega P3, Denon DL-103, Musical Fidelity X-LPS.

Insights and suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Many thanks in advance. -Mark

Parasound HCA-1500A
http://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca1500a.php

- Continuous power output: 205 wpc 8 ohms; 315 wpc 4 ohms
- Current capacity: 60 amperes peak per channel
- Slew rate: > 130 V/second
- Frequency response: 5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt
- Dynamic headroom: > 1.5 dB
- Interchannel crosstalk: > 80 dB at 1 kHz; > 60 dB at 20 kHz
- Input impedance: 33 k ohms
- S/N ratio: > 110 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted
- Damping factor: > 800 at 20 Hz
- Price: $995 new, roughly $450 used

McCormack Power Drive DNA-1
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/520/

- Rated power output: 150Wpc RMS into 8 ohms (21.8dBW), 300Wpc RMS into 4 ohms (21.8dBW), 500Wpc RMS into 2 ohms (21.0dBW)
- Output current: 50A peak per channel
- Input impedance: 100k ohms
- Frequency response: -3dB at 0.5Hz and 250kHz
- Rise time: ±2µs
- Slew rate: 50V/µs
- S/N ratio: 88dB, "A" weighted
- Damping factor: >100 (1kHz, 8 ohm load)
- Output impedance: ±0.1 ohm
- Signal polarity: non-inverting
- Price: $1995 new, roughly $800-900 used
mingles

Showing 1 response by jaybo

your speakers are great...the mccormick will drive them just fine...some other ss in your range that do a disappearing act as well...bryston, belles....check for minty used.....the mccormick is fantastic