MC cartridge upgrade for a Schiit Sol (Denon dl-103r) help!

Hi there!

I’m being in the market over a month for a new cartridge (AT95EN) for my Schiit Sol. I know there’s a ton of options out there like Nagaoka, Ortofon, Sumiko, just to name a few, I knew that MC are more expensive than MM cartridges (I know there’s exceptions) but I found Denon 103R with great reviews and a "affordable" price ($300 more or less) and that’s when I started doing my research about MC cartridges, some people were talking about you "need to make sure your tonearm is compatible with the MC cartridge that you want" they talk about tonearm mass and bunch of other stuff. My question is, How do I know my tonearm is compatible with Denon dl-103r cartridge?! I checked schiit sol manual and does not have any technical information about tonearm weight/mass. I will be using schiit mani preamp.

Thank you ahead for your time!
Edwin
erivera1990

Showing 9 responses by erivera1990

What's is the lifespan of the 103r before retipping? Keeping in consideration clean records and clean stylus? 
What It's considered a "light mass tonearm"? I read online that my tonearm effective mass is 13 grams, can I add one of those tonearm square weights (3 gram) to compensate? Between the headshell and the cartridge? 
Well... Sadly I didn't realize that my phono preamp(Schiit Mani) it's not a good match for a Denon dl103r. I need to get a different phono preamp because I don't want to use a LOMC transformer...

@smb1978 I don’t know why but I just noticed your notification, thank you so much for your explanation, right now I’m putting together a second stereo system, and I was looking into schiit mani 2 with a MC cartridge.

@smb1978 I bet it sounds beautiful! Specifically with such a cartridge! I putting together a technics mk2 (one of those deals I couldn’t let pass) and as it right now I’m debating between the mani 2 or Moon 110lp V2 preamp, more expensive compared to mani 2 but also it seems that has more options. Do you have a YouTube channel that I could appreciate your setup?

@smb1978 

It sounds amazing!!! I bought the Mani 2, most likely I will be selling my Schiit Sol turntable. I'm planning to upgrade... Meanwhile I have a Technics MK2 and I will test it with a Denon 103. I will let you know how it sounds! 

Cheers!

Edwin Rivera