MC Cartridge Recco's

I could use a little help.

It appears as if this is the system I will be working with.

VAC 160i Integrated with MC Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Olympica III

I will need to get a TT/Arm/Cartridge. There are lots of great options in my budget for a TT but I am not very educated on a good cartridge I should be looking for. My budget for a cartridge on the resale market (audiogon etc) is about 1500.

I listen to guitar based music. Rock/country/folk

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ross
128x128rosscobbaz
Ross - Didn't realize that you had an MC input since the specs for your amp indicate MM only.  

Greg
"My VAC has been upgraded to a MC phono stage. So I will not need a seperate phono stage. "

That's not always the case. You may want to check with VAC first. Just ask them if its OK to use a low output cart. They'll know exactly why you're asking this, and it will be a yes or no answer. Since you are using tubes in your phono stage, you need to be extra careful because you're are asking a lot from that phono stage if you go with a LOMC.

To me, buying a cartridge new is the way to go.  No reason, I just feel more comfortable doing so.
agree very much with the recommendations above by raul

other solid choices would be AT ART9 or a used Benz MC in your price range

+1 also to double check your phono gain - make sure you have enough for .3 or .4 mv ...some MC stages do not... that would be a nasty (and expensive) surprise to address