Mc 240 vs. Prima Luna

Good morning all, hope everyone is well and ready for the holidays. 

I may need someone to talk me away from the ledge. (fairly normal state for me these days).

Story is this. I have been saving to add a second McIntosh 240 to my system. I have one now that does a fine job powering my Klipsch Heresy IV's. It was recently refurbished by Audio Classics in Vestal NY. (by the way, can't reccmomend them highly enough, especially Ryan).

Anyway, I'm getting close to being able to pony up for the second 240. Plan is to bridge them in mono and have 80 WPC effectivly. 

However.... I have been reading much about the Prima Luna's. Modern.. Warm... ability to roll several tube types.. sweet mid, good low end..

Do I stick with my original plan, get the second 240, (built in the US, tank like construction, known sound and cool factor).

Or do I chase the neat new shiny Prima Luna's ?

Any thoughts are welcome..

Doug

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433

Showing 1 response by doyle3433

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful comments, suggestions, advice..

I do completely enjoy my current set up, and I am feeling the additional 240 may not be the best use for my dollars. Perhaps I can split what I’ve saved and upgrade elsewhere. I wouldn’t mind upgrading my pre-amp. The old NAD seems out of place. Maybe I go for something more period correct like a MAC C 26 or 28..

Also found some great deals on some phono pre-amps I’ve been lusting after from Sutherland.