MBL Speaker Placement + 116F

I am interested in getting the MBL 116F was wondering if you could share your experience. How do they sound compared to other similar priced speakers? I Read a review regarding the previous model and the reviewer noted that speaker placement is very critical. However, I am not sure what he meant by that. Your suggestions are much appreciated. My room is 13' x 20' with an opening to the dining room.

Thanks very much,
lucky_boy

Showing 1 response by martinmobile

Hey Partner, I say buy them if you can and not to worry about the placement as much. There are lots of opinions on how best to set up "Radialstrahlers", with MBL giving instructions, room dimensions, and a whole lot of mind numbing mathmatical calculations (in their owners manuals). All of that is cool if you have the size room to do it. Mbl speakers can fill up an acoustic space like nobodys business, but you don't NEED to have them set-up on the long wall (although preferable). I have a "smallish" room just like you do, 15 feet wide by 18 feet long. I have owned 111e's and placed them on the short wall on 8 foot centers and that worked very well for me. Although I did need to tame the front wall a bit with some acoustic panels as omni's throw alot of energy out and tended to be a tad bit "bright". I recently sold my 111e's and bought a pair of 101e Mk2's. Put em in the same room...right in the same spot, and they work killer. I am sure a larger room would only improve their awesome performance, but don't be afraid to go for it in your listening room. My guess is that you will be as blown away as I was that it actually worked!