MBL 121 to full range speaker

Would like to receive recommendations on possible upgrade to full range speakers. I am living in an apartment so speaker selection would have to fit this constraint. The MBL 116 is an obvious selection keeping to the MBL sound which I certainly enjoy but I would like to especially hear from others who have found other speaker makes that I should consider.

BTW, I have Rowland electronics (synergy 2i/501/PC1) with MBL 1511/1521 DAC&Transport.
dtanclim

Showing 3 responses by martykl

Ohms.

Sound different than MBL, but in the same "neighborhood". Depending on budget and room size - you might consider their floorstanders or sub/sats. Both types available direct from Ohm Acoustics with money back in-home trial.

Good Luck

Marty
To my ear, 101s and 111s sound vastly different (as do 116s and 121s with a sub). Before I bought Ohms, I auditioned all of the MBL models at 2 different dealers. I don't have space for 101s and their tonal balance isn't precisely what I'm seeking and the price tag is daunting, ...but they truly induce LUST! The 101s may have certain issues, but they are a singular sounding product.

Marty
Map,

To my ear the biggest differences between the MBL 101s and the rest of the line are 1)midrange presence, 2)bass balance, and 3)dynamics.

I assume that #1 is likely due to the extra radial driver in the 101 which crosses in low enough to cover the whole midrange. That is, however, speculation on my part.

#2 is a design choice which "voices" the speaker for a natural bass balance in a larger room than the other models (except the 121s which are rolled off at - I think -80ish hz and utilize a subwoofer to determine bass balance.)

Don't know what causes #3, but the 101 is a monster dynamically - in a different league than the lesser models (and just about everything else I've ever heard, too).

Marty