MBL 101e mk 2 Speaker Owners?

I may be acquiring a used pair of the MBL 101e Mark 2 speakers and am wondering what other members here use as an amp to drive them? This is other than the MBL amps.
128x128stereo5

Showing 4 responses by mapman

The big MBLs require a special larger room to sound their best. I've heard them sound that way at a dealers optimized for mbl showroom and then heard the same setup sound just average or worse at a show.

There are other omnidirectional or wide dispersion design speakers that should work better in most rooms. The good news is that they will likely not set you back nearly as much financially as mbl also.
Golden ear is an interesting option to Mbl. I very much like the aon3s. If the tritons sound similar but bigger those are big hitters for the money as well.
If I had the room and money for big Mbls I would strongly consider them. But I don't so I will settle with what I have. I would not count the ohms out without a fight though even in that Mbl sized room in that I would love to save the 💰💰💰 .
A large room is not necessarily required, but 101s would probably be overkill in most smaller rooms and heavy treatment would likely be needed in lieu of distance to walls. I can also see where a good tube amp might work pretty well in a smaller room.

All I am saying is that it would be like driving a Lamborghini through town at 30 mph. No problem, and its still a very nice car, but not demonstrating its true potential.