Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

After weeks of research, I scooped one of these up because the price seems unbeatable for the hardware/specs provided. $274 delivered from the Chinese mfr ($249 ex works).
Analog Devices 1955 chip; Burr-Brown OPA2604 op-amps; tube pre-out stage includes JAN GE 5670/2C51 tube "upgrade".
Also solid state pre-out.
Optical, Coax (RCA & F-type), and USB (asynchronous, using the Tenor 7022L chip) inputs.
24/96 capability (unfortunately does not go up to 192).
Audiophile S/N ratios for both outs.
-------------------------------
After only 15-20 hours listening and break-in, I am thrilled. The tube out is fantastic; so rich, so full, yet so clean and dynamic. No tube fog or any sort of masking, just pure enhancement. Can't really comment on solid state out because I'm so smitten with the tube stage. Very dimensional and natural.
This thang has made a BIG improvement in my enjoyment of CDs (using an old Phillips CD/DVD player as transport) and the tube out is a step or five up from the Squeezebox Touch DAC that is also part of my setup.
VERY pleased and looking forward to even sweeter sounds as the TubeMagic breaks completely in.
More to follow...
colorfulpellets

Showing 4 responses by k330

Interesting to hear your opinion on feeding this DAC with Squeezebox directly through optical cable.
Sorry the lastpass auto fill does not work properly on iPad.

What I meant to say,

I bought a D1 as amp for my headphone but later used it as DAC for my music system (SB3, exposure 2010s, Harbeth 7). I am pretty happy with it, definitely better than the DAC inside SB. Now I still need a dedicated DAC as otherwise I can not used my headphone properly. So I may just get a D2 as you can not really beat the price of it.
I'm thinking about using D2 as a dedicated DAC for my music system, and move D1 back as headphone amp. Does that make sense ?