matrix 803's.. i have chance to buy... worth it?

hello... i have a chance to buy a set of 803's and a matching center channel. i use my speakers for home theater only. i currently have cdm cnt 1's for the front and a 600 series center. if these matrix speakers are in good condition, my questions are
1) are these much better than my newer cdms? i have a sub...
2) how do these rate to the newer 800 nautilus series... not the diamonds can't afford them right now...
3) what is a good price for them? was thinking if i do not like them maybe i could sell them to help with the nautilus purchase. they are the black finish...

thank you for the help
bill
baranowski

Showing 2 responses by jazzerdave

My dad uses the Matrix 803 s2's. I haven't heard them in a HT setup, but from their performance in a stereo setup, I'd imagine they'd be a great choice. The price is good for either model, but a real nice price for the S2.
I should add that when comparing the Matrix 803 s2 to the Nautilus and Diamonds, I've actually preferred the Matrix and Nautilus. I've found the entire Diamond line to be a little too bright for my taste. The Matrix series has plenty of punch and and the tonal balance is pleasing. Essentially, I've found them to have plenty of detail without being fatiguing. The Nautilus is somewhere in the middle, so if your preference leans toward the ultra-detailed and you don't get fatigued easily, maybe you'd prefer them; however, you'll pay a bigger chunk of cash for a speaker that you might not prefer.