matrix 803's.. i have chance to buy... worth it?

hello... i have a chance to buy a set of 803's and a matching center channel. i use my speakers for home theater only. i currently have cdm cnt 1's for the front and a 600 series center. if these matrix speakers are in good condition, my questions are
1) are these much better than my newer cdms? i have a sub...
2) how do these rate to the newer 800 nautilus series... not the diamonds can't afford them right now...
3) what is a good price for them? was thinking if i do not like them maybe i could sell them to help with the nautilus purchase. they are the black finish...

thank you for the help
bill
baranowski

Showing 3 responses by ct0517

Are the 803's the latest M version - Series 2. What is the price ? Many years ago (?) I used to have a HT Room with 803 matrix s2 front right and left, and 805 matrix center channel and rears.
'I think they are almost twenty years old so they may need new surrounds soon, that would be my biggest concern".

Highly unlikely unless they were abused - so you need to see and hear them personally. I am still using 805 and 801. They still look like day 1.

So tell the owner to check the back label -big difference between 1 and 2 sonically. Matrix are totally undervalued. B&W did not get into the audiophile "price game" until nautilus. IMO.

If they are in great shape for all three pieces - $1000 is a real good price. But do not buy remote - go see them due to the age factor. If he says he has had them for 10 years he is not the original owner.

Good luck.

Here you go – scroll down the first column model to where matrix starts. This will give you model production years.

Archive B&W

MATRIX 803 FLOORSTANDING 1991-1993
MATRIX 803 S2 FLOORSTANDING 1992-1998

You want the S2 version. much improved.

Google online reviews and used sales.

They sounded great for HT. I also owned CdM1 and CDM1se's. They were nice too but not 800 level.

Good luck.