Mating power cords with APL 3910

While waiting for my (Denon) APL 3910 to arrive, I need some help in coming up with a short list of power cords to audition with it. In addition to listing the PCs you liked best with this unit, it would be most helpful if you could provide some specificity. In particular, what sonic and musical virtues are the offspring when the particular PC is mated with the APL 3910? Sonically speaking, which PCs didn't do as well with it? Are there any PCs that mate well (or don't mate well) with digital sources in general?
puremusic

Showing 7 responses by boa2

It's like my mom told me long ago,
"If the sex is good, it makes up about 2% of the relationship. And if it's not good, it becomes the other 98% in a hurry."

That's my metaphorical offering for the day. Feel free to take it and run.
We are using an Electraglide Mini Khan Plus with our APL 3910. Open, airy, spacious & revealing is the way I would describe the sound. Obviously, all components contribute to the finished product, but if I work backwards on this list below, I can definitely constrict the sound just by changing the PC on the source.

We've tried several PC's on our players, starting with a Signal Cable, which had a slight improvement over stock. VDH Mainstream Hybrid was the next improvement, then Michael Wolff Carbon Source, and finally the Mini Khan Plus. When I say 'improvement', the most notable effect was that the music went from flat to having depth, from sounding recorded to having the energy of live music. We always went back to the prior cord after a few days of listening just to be sure of the effect, and it was never marginal.
Enjoy that player!
Howard
Grant,
I don't think that the power cord actually generates all of those qualities. Alex (APL) actually spoke to this process while we were auditioning his player. He said, "The player isn't going to find something that is not already on the recording. But what I'm trying to do is give it the presence that IS on the recording." I'm no scientist. I just know what I hear, and with certain cords, more of that presence is revealed than with others.

Or were you just being a smart-aleck?
John,
As a musician who has listened to many hours of studio playback, I would say that our home system goal is to hear that replicated as closely as possible. Ironically, I think that the closer you get to that, you actually begin to hear the limitations and flaws in the recording process. Mid-fi systems are much better I believe at compressing those gaps, if that makes sense. Sorry if I'm not directly answering your question, but I'm trying to offer some background into what I want to hear from the recording, which will hopefully help to understand how I listen and choose components/cables/etc. that match my (and my wife's) preferences.

In the order of those I listed above, each successive cord opened up the sound somewhat more, each time getting us closer to the rawness of the recording. The Signal Cable was a marginal improvement over the stock cord. The VDH slightly was slightly more open. The Wolff gave life and depth to the music, and the EG opened that midrange air and space somewhat more, an improvement akin to what I've heard when going from some current production to NOS tubes. The music feels slower, more open, with the energy of the players, and either it or I am more relaxed because I feel like I've been let in to the music. As far as coherence, I think that in some way I can actually hear the flaws in the process even more than before, but that's what I want to hear: the humanity of the players.

I understand that the Ultra Khan Plus is another step beyond the Mini Khan Plus, in the same direction. People have told me that they found an improvement with the UK Plus, and others have told me they went back to the MK Plus.

Obviously, there are many excellent PC's out there. I just went with recommendations from people who seemed to have similar goals as those I enumerated above.
Best of luck,
Howard
John,
I always figure why not try something out, especially when you can resell it for around the same price if not satisfied? If you are looking for natural and accurate, then I would say you have chosen an excellent player in the APL. And in my experience, the EG just seems to get out of the way and let the music come through.
Enjoy!
Howard
Grant,
Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe you were retaliating for my snide comment about BMW's. Only joking, as I'm sure you knew.

It may make no sense to others, but I give equal weight to every part of an audio system. I've found that the difference between wanting to sell a component and getting that chill down my spine that sparks a unique intimacy with the music is at times settled by the rolling of a single tube, the introduction of an isolation tweak, or a change from one power cord to another. I wouldn't advise building a system around a power cord, though the wrong cord in a system is enough to destroy the synergy all by itself. As such, I'm left thinking that everything in the chain contributes equally to the end result. Like I said, it may not make sense to others, but in my experience even the choice of stick can make or break the drummer.
Tried the Virtual Dynamic Nite I, and the music did not breathe as well as with the EG Mini Khan Plus. It sounded more shrill, and forced. The cord was also a bugger to work with--VERY stiff. I then tried the Ultra Khan Statement Revision II, and it's here to stay. The music was a bit more transparent and relaxed with it than with the Mini Khan.
I am plugging into an Aural Thrills Power Box, which is unfortunately no longer made. It's a great little piece of equipment, which could generally be found for around $100 on auction. When I went into the wall with the same cords, the end rankings & effect were identical, however.
Regards,
Howard