Matching Cartridge to Hovland Phono

Question: I have the Hovland HP-100 with the MC 63db step-up transformer. Looking at their specs (below) is a Dynavector 20xl a good 'match' to this phono? I have some difficulty understanding what to look for in getting an ideal match.

Specs for the DV 20xl:

SPECIFICATIONS
Type High/Low output moving coil cartridge with flux damper and softened magnetism
Output Voltage 2.8mV / 0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel Separation 25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Frequency response 20 - 20,000Hz (± 2dB)
Compliance 12 x 10-6 cm/dyn
Tracking force 1.8 - 2.2grams
DC resistance 150 ohms / 5 ohms
Recommended load
resistance > 1Kohms / > 30 ohms
Cantilever 6mm length, hard aluminium pipe
Stylus Micro-Ridge
Weight 8.6 grams

Hovland HP-100:
Phono Stage (46 dB gain)
Minimum input voltage: approx. 0.7 millivolt @ 1000 Hz
Input impedance: 1 meg ohm
Frequency response: ±0.15 dB, 25 Hz - 25 kHz
S/N ratio: 60 dB below 2 mv input wideband
75 dB below 2 mv input w/ 400 Hz high-pass filter

MC Phono Stage with MC-7 Transformer (63 dB gain)
Maximum input voltage: approx. 1.0 millivolt @ 1000 Hz
Input impedance: approx. 530 Ω (provision for reduced loading)
stickman451

Showing 6 responses by stickman451

Yes; but I am using it with the MC step-up transformer, not the MM... you lost me...

So, you are saying that I am should not use the 20XL with the MC step up transformer? I'm not having any volume issues at all; I typically listen with the Hovland set at 1 to 2 o'clock range...
Thanks Elinor,

I do plan to call Alex; have talked him with several times over the last few years. I sent my Hovland back last year and got the latest upgrades; was well worth it, definitely lowered the noise floor. I am curious what tubes you are using in the phono? Last year I ordered some Mullard NOS from Upscale Audio. I haven't been that happy with them. They seem a little noiser than the stock Hovland tubes and lacking a little of the liveliness I had before... I may just order a stock set from Alex...
Thanks for the feedback...I only used the 20XL since I previously had it on my Scout...I would agree, I should move to a better cartridge (as soon as funds permit)... I spoke to Hovland and they said that there should be no issues using the 20XL in conjunction with the HP-100... They did suggest that I get a 'better' cartridge at some point, but that for now I may want to look at other cables for the arm... I have heard good reports on the Hovland cable before, so I may try it soon...