Mastersound Compact 845 with Pvsane 845T

I own a Mastersound Compact 845 and Mastersound PH5 Pre Amp and orderd two Pvsane 845 T Valves.I was advised by the valve supplier that they would work ok as they were the top of 845 range of valves.I was then advised by my dealer that a mod had to be done to the Cathode Resistor on the Compact 845 to take account of the voltage increase.Otherwise the uit could in the future fail.Any body out there using the 845 T in the compact without modification to the resistor should be aware of this .Any comments welcome
patal

Showing 11 responses by patal

Thanks for that,the existing tubes are the originals as supplied with the amp.When contacting mastersound they said an engineer had to physicaly look at the valve.Cant understand that. Any way all the specs have been sent to them will wait and see what comes back .Another problem has arisen.Cant Bias the right right valve .Using the bias socket at the rear of the am p I can only get it to read 5.8 Volts max,albeit continuing to turn it turns the valve red (Ugh )immediately turn it down again.Can only gage level through comparing brightness of tubes .Trying to get info our of Mastersound is a nightmare,Trouble is I am working in Abu Dhabi which does not help as there is not a abundance of engineers who can tackle this .Albeit Dubai Audio have kindly offered to look at it.Patience is a virtue.
You are lucky ,the amp sounds okay but I dont want to use it incase I damage something inside due to the wrong bias voltage.Probably best to wait till i get back home to Ireland next year ,but even that is a long time to be using it and putting it at risk.It is still under warranty so I believe the best option is to let Dealer/Supplier sort this out.Lets see what happens
HI All,
This gets a bit more complicated,I recieved a e mail from mastersound which advised the only way they could advise on the value of the resistor as a mod for the 845t was if they physically had the valve so a engineer could do the required checks.
I dont see that to be rocket science and would have thought they would or could do this quite easily.Even then they stated that it could not be a definite solution in regard to determining the exact value of the resistor.
One would have thought it would be in their customers interests to go down this path and advise customers bearing in mind the PVsane 845T is a god valve and likely wanted to be used by mastersound 845 Amp owners .
If that was not enough I got home last night and was watching TV when the PH5 Pre Amplifier switched on by itself.I thought I had ghosts.checked the on off switch this was okay reconnected the power with the switch removed it still came on.There was a small LED flashing on a circuit board on the same side of the switch.
Both amps are going back to mastersound for repair.It never rains but it pours.Anybody know of a Valve P0wer Amp which would be as good as the Compact 845 which is integrated.going to keep the PH5 when fixed
HI Brf
Sorry for not anwsering your questions .The 845 compact is shiped with standardc 845 Shuagang valves.The shuagang 845B is somewhat different to the 845T hence the need for the mod.Albeit the 845B is compatible with the compact 845 without any modifications.
Re operating specs you are quite correct but I find it very difficult to get detailed information from them.I think this is caused to a considerable extent by the language barrier.They should suply it withe the operators manual which is also scant in this regard.
Another problem or perhaps not.The 845Ts have been running for approx 45 Hrs ,Sound is fine ,however there is a very very low buzz which does not effect the listening,coming from both speakers.This can only be heard when the music is off.the level of the buzz does not increase or decrease with the volume control.Could it be Bias or Hum adjustment which is required.ANY OTHER 845 COMPACT INTEGRATED OWNERS DOES THE LARGE CENTRE TRANSFORMER MAKE A AUDIBLE HUM/BUZZ.
Thanks
Patal
Cobra /Phil
Thanks for that,am I right in understanding that the 845 t would be ok as drop in and have no adverse effect on the existing resistors.Plus, that the 845B is better than the 845T. The amps are going back tomorrow for repair can you suggest any upgrade that would be worth doing such as capacitors etc which would be worth while.Might as well have it done while they are in the hands of a competent tech from Jordan Acoustics in scotland.
Thanks Guys
Hi Jonathan,
Will do .The amp is curremtly back in Scotland with Jordan for repair and I have asked the dealer to ask his tech over there for his opinion in regard to modifying the resister.This was asked prior to recieving the excelent e mail from Phil.Mastersound are still of the opinion that the modification is required.However they cant offer much more advice as they insist on seeing the 845T valve to test/check it.
The general feedback seems to favour the 845B.
Regardless will gladly let you know the outcome.
Regards
Alan (Patal)
Hi Jonathan ,
The amp is now back and running with the 845Ts and sounds great.The tech thoroughly checked it out and put it on test for over a day with the 845Ts and advised it ran fine with no problems.Have not tried the 845Bs but the 845Ts sound fantastic and they are nowhere near burned in.
I also bought a DAC from a company called Black Lion in Chicago called the Sparrow (White)this lifted the system to new frontiers totally.More than pleased.
Kind Regards
Patal
Hi Jonathan,
He put in on test for over a day and done the required measurements and said there was no problem whatsoever.He did say there was a significant re biasing but there was still plenty of room up or down to spare. Re 845 Ts they sound very good still burning in, indicators say they can take 70 Hrs so using Isoteck burn in disc to help the process.
Hope this helps
Patal
The 845Ts have now been running for approximately forty hours and getting better all the time .Brightness and rough edges of high frequencies are slowly fading away .Soundstage is excellent .Vocals extremely clear and vibrant.No signs of amp overheating or valve problems.Will try these for a while give them a chance to settle down then try the 845B and determine the difference.
Regards
Patal