Martin logan vs. B&W

Anyone has experience with both brands or done some A/Bs? (especially B&W 800s and larger logans- ascent or higher)

what are the main differences and + and -s
what made you choose one over the other?
what kind of music did you use to compare them?

thanks for your input
Jay
jungsan
Well Stravinsky's the Firebird would sound better on the B & W's, a Beethoven piano concerto would sound much better on the Martin Logan's. That said, I really have trouble with hybrid speakers in general. The sound differences between the very, very fine panels of the ML and it's cone woofer always sound mismatched to me. The only hybrids that I have heard that really seem to get this right are the Innersounds. Otherwise, I really think that planar speakers such as Soundlabs, Quads and Magnepan's are light years ahead of the hybrids.

As far as traditional speakers, I really, really like the B & W's. The build quality is spectacular, and the sonics have a great consistant tonality. Very musical. I agree with Beemer in that they are very different. If you like a warmer, detailed sound, full orchestra, B & W's are great. If you tend towards more intimate music, I would suggest the planars or hybrid. Before you buy the ML's I would suggest that you audition the Quads, Soundlabs, and Magnepan's. At the very least listen to the very fine Innersound speakers, if you really want a hybrid.

Good luck.
Both posters above said it all. One other thing to consider is that B&W require a lot of power and it should be solid state. Martin Logans love tube power, although solid state will sound very good. B&Ws will be easier to set up in the room & will play louder. Martin Logans will require more work to set up due to the dipole design and will arc when played very loud. I always felt if I had the room & money I would love to have a second setup w. planar or electrostatic speakers. Now go listen as that will truly answer your questions. PS once you can hear the crossover / transition on the Martin Logan between the woofer & the panel you will always hear it. I used to own them & sold them for that reason. I hear the new designs are much better. Listen to each for a while will really do the trick
As a former owner of ML SL3s (sold because we moved to a smaller house and still missed), I can agree with much of what's been said, but I question the statement that they "will arc when played very loud". I believe that that may have been the case with far earlier models, but I know that I was never able to make mine arc with ~380 wpc (McCormack DNA 1/B).
Thanks guys for your inputs

I guess what I wanna specifically find out sooner or later is how the Summit and the 803D (or 802D) comopare.
My dealer's doing the local premier of the Summit soon, so I guess I'll see..
I'll keep in mind the intrinsic differences you guys mentioned between the two brands

thanks for sharing
Jay :-)
My recommendations are simple. Buy a pair of grado sr-60 or sr-80 headphones; listen to any of your music the headphones this is exactly what you will hear if you choose to audition martin logan speakers. lots of detail but no sound stage; you will not be able to tell the source or direction of singers or musicians. i personally love my thiel 2.3's they completely disappear in the room with most 3 dimensional soundstage ever.

Enjoy, Dave