Marshall Tucker Band-Anyone else get them?

Listening to music this am...it really hit me.

To me... they are an absolutely amazing fusion band... Jazz/Rock/Country/Western... the volume and variety of instrumentation they meld together (without sounding the least bit gimmicky) is mind blowing. They use Horns/Keyboards/Pianos/Guitars etc....and, as you may know, even the flute, to great effect.

I definitely would not classify them in the ..."one of best bands nobody's ever heard of"...because, I think everyone has heard of them (i.e. Heard it in a Love Song)...but, I think they are one of the most misunderstood and under-appreciated bands ever. Unfortunately, I think people make assumptions about them and dig no further... (a tragic case of judging a book by the cover).

Most probably write them off as simply another southern-rock band ...but they are so much more than that...First of all the (main) vocalist Doug Gray...the guy actually Sings...yes, SINGS. (Ironically he is not the vocalist in Heard it in a Love Song!). Toy Caldwell (guitarist), Wow! - Although I'm not a musician...the guitar work sounds amazing (especially the jazz themes). And...if you like jam bands...they have that more than covered too (the album versions of the hits give them the songs the breathing room they deserve)

Bottom Line: In my opinion, they are a music lover's dream.

Just for the record...I listen to everything from The Flamingos to Scarface...mostly alternative lately...so this is definitely not a niche thing for me... Actually, I don't have very much "Southern Rock" in my collection at all.
128x128ml8764ag

Showing 1 response by ml8764ag

Good to see all the responses...thank you, now I have some additional insight AND have their concert DVD in my Netflix queue... Good Stuff.

Definitely don't want to forget the others in the band (drummer, bass player, etc.)...as folks have mentioned here, it's the chemistry and cohesiveness that made them work.

Side Note: did some searches yesterday...looks like they are on the summer festival/fare tour...and actually playing in my state...(unfortunately, 5 hours away)... wondering how they would be with only one (I think) original member left and 35 years past. I might just grab one of their more recent albums just to check them out.