Mark Levinson No. 334 vs 23.5

I am looking for a good amplifier, I have the 23.5 in my possession and unfortunately have to return it due to shipping damages. I am wondering if anyone had both amplifiers and did a side by side comparison, I would like to know what to expect if I find a 334. To be honest I am afraid I might not like any other amplifier after hearing the 23.5
128x128trance

Showing 1 response by ncarv

I have owned a 27, which is the same topology as the 23.5, just less wattage and the .5 models were a slight upgrade, and the 334. For my money, there is no doubt the older model is a more musical amp. I loved the 27, kept it for years even after switching to tubes. I used the 334 for a few months and sold it because I didn't care for it at all. The 27 was a warm, musically satisfying amp. The 334 was cold and analytical to my taste.
As for problems with the 334's, early models had problems with the caps, which were replaced in later models. ML even offered the cap upgrade to out of warranty failures because they recognized the defect.
A friend had a 23.5, which he used until switching to tubes. We both like that amp very much.