Mark Levinson n°39 or dedicated DAC?

Hi,

I currently own a Mark Levinson n°383 (integrated amp) and have been offered to buy a 39 (CD player). A lot of my music is now stored uncompressed on a server and I've been looking for a good DAC for a while now.

The 39 has two digital inputs that would allow me to connect a source (eg. Ipod) and benefit from both my CDs and the stored music.

I know the 39 is not the youngest anymore but I'm still hesitating between buying it or move to full digital with a DAC like the one from Bryston. The 39 would be the perfect match with my 383 but is it really outdated. Technology has not evolved that much (lots of figures but lots of marketing too).

Anyway. What would you do or recommend?

Buy the 39?
Buy a dedicated DAC?
Alternative?
pmichellon

Showing 1 response by 4musica44107

Buy a dedicated DAC if you have a transport or digital source you like. I have a 390S that served me well enough until a transformer blew. Now it just sits in an attic closet because I do not want to deal with the hassle and obscene costs associated with getting Levinson gear repaired. A good digital transport/source and a great DAC (There are so many; the best I have heard is the new one from Acoustic Plan) will IME far outperform a Levinson 39/390S, or any other CDP of the same vintage as the 39/390S. YMMV, of course.