Mark Levinson 36S vs 360S

Can anyone tell me the difference between a 36S and a 360S DAC? I currently have a 36S DAC and wonder if the 360S is worth the extra $$$$. Is it only if you want DVA-A?
dewinkle

Showing 1 response by french_fries

i love the sound of my 360s, which btw was an upgraded 36s, and i have a very revealing system in which it resides.
however, a in a less-critical application the 36s is probably good enough. i've even heard the EMM lab gear recently, and although it's very good (i only heard redbook cd's that i was already familiar with), my jaw didn't drop upon hearing it either. i am extremely biased, but imho think the #37/360s is
a VERY musical and "sufficiently detailed" combination.
i would love to hear the new theta gen.8 too; btw the levinsons don't do DVD-A or SACD (and perhaps that's a good thing). levinson did alot of listening tests back in the good old days when the 30.6 was one of the 2 or 3 best dacs in the world. and so i have alot of confidence in their voicing of the 360s and the 390s cdp, because of their many years of experimentation. i just hope they continue to maintain their reputation, as i (in my again, very biased point of view) believe they play an important role in high-end audio.