Mark Levinson 333.5 vs Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks

We are pushing Thiel 3.6 speakers with our dual-monaural Mark Levinson 333.5 amp. we are considering a switch to the Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks. Does anyone have actual experience with both the 333.5 (or 333) and the XPR-1's?

If not with the Levinson amp, then any experience vs. the XPR-1's with another higher end amp?

We have 2-30 watt receptacles ready for the job in hand. Also have 20 amp receptacles. Both services are on dedicated circuits.
levchappy
Dave_72

Is it true that Pass amps run extremely hot. What was the last best Levinson amp that you've owned for at least 2 years?

Have you ever owned somewhat recent Lamm amp? If so, how does it compare to the Levinson 333.5 and The Pass amp?
Levchappy,

I know what you mean. It really sucks when experimenting with an upgrade means getting rid of an existing piece of equipment.

On another note, and not to get off on another rant about this vs. that, but I took a look at the specs on the Sherbourn amp that you are interested in.

Assuming that the manufacturer's published specs are on the optimistic side, the specs do not instill much confidence with regard to the amp's abilities. Most notable to me are the power ratings at 8 and 4 ohms. The 4 ohm rating is less than 50% more than it is at 8 ohms and they clearly state that the minimum recommended load impedance is 4 ohms.

Again, I don't know how this amp is going to handle your speakers with the 4 ohm nominal impedance, with it dropping down near 2 ohms a lot of the time.

Honestly, and again, just based on the published specs, I think I'd consider keeping the Levinson and getting into an Emotiva 5 channel amp. That way you can keep the Levinson for two channel and back that up with the other 5 channel amp for home theatre.

I'm only saying this as a personal thing, because I've never been wild about Acurus amps. They aren't for everyone.
Tonyangel;

I really appreciate your dialogue. Our Home Theater speakers consist of:

L/R Fronts Kef 104.2 (refurbished)

Center Thiel SCS2

L/R Surrounds Kef IQ3 SP3500

L/R Rears KEF 102.2

Our three Acurus amps do a fine job, but there is always room for improvement.

We are using an Oppo 103 3D Bluray player and an Emotiva UMC-200 pre-pro.

Thanks
I would keep the Levinson for sure, especially if you had Alex go through it. Should be good for years to come.

But let me know if you sell it... : )
I wouldn't say *extremely* hot but yes, very warm to hot.

I did own the no. 23 amp from '88 until '92. It was ok, but I found much better.

Never owned Lamm.