Marantz sr 9200 peak indicator flashing

When I connect anaolog input signal to Marantz SR 9200 home theater receiver,the peak indictor light keep flashing even the volume is low.Is this normal or the receiver is overload? Digital signal is fine.
cip57

Showing 2 responses by sean

Your receiver is converting the analogue signal into a digital signal before passing it onto the amplification stage. Believe it or not, it then converts the digital signal back into an analogue signal. Goofy to say the least.

As such, the analogue source signal is too strong, driving the digital converter into clipping. Those are the "warning" lights that you see flickering. You should have some form of adjustment on the Marantz to lower the input levels so as to avoid this. Your manual should have something about how to do this.

You would normally want this set up as high as possible without having the lights flickering on a steady basis. This may be hard to achieve with all sources / recordings as dynamic range varies so much. As such, pick a source with a very dynamic presentation and adjust it for that. You should have no problems with all but the most dynamic of recordings after that. If your Marantz is more advanced and feature laden, you may be able to adjust the input levels for each source that you select. RTFM : ) Sean
>
If those lights are coming on all the time, you're experiencing distortion of the Analogue to Digital Converter ( ADC ). By reducing the input level, you should be able to obtain cleaner sound at the expense of having to crank the volume of the receiver up a bit higher. If the receiver is playing loud enough for you now without sounding distorted, it should have plenty of gain to compensate for the reduced drive after lowering the input signal. You may have to play with the settings a bit to find the best spot. I went through something similar several years ago, hence my familiarity with the situation. Sean
>