Marantz SA8260

I own a slightly older, cheaper Marantz DVD player. It was recommended to me by a dealer who pointed out the special way they handle the output stage, it's called HDAM, or something like that.
I listen primarily to redbook CD's so my next player would need to perform well with regard to regular CD's.
For the money, the SA8260 seems to be a great player for the money. But does it's strength lie primarily in SACD playback, or does CD's sound equally as good through this player?
For those of you with some experience with this Marantz player, and other high quality digital sources, should I counsider buying one. I can't demo the unit. I have no local dealer. I'm primarily a speaker oriented guy. I've built some in the past with mixed success. When it comes to reaping the rewards of upgrading audio gear, speakers, in my experience, yield the most noticeable improvements.
With that said, I'd like to upgrade my digital source. I've already bought a Rogue 99 pre amp mated with a Parasound A21. I like the mix of tubed pre and SS power. Yes, I realise that my amp really isn't in the same league as my pre amp.
Thinking of the future though, what the kids are listening to these days is downloadable music, MP3. The future of hi-rez digital is compromised by this fact, since record companies won't produce much more hi-rez software if the money/demand isn't there.
So, with Stereophile's granting the 8290 a class A, and good reviews elsewhere, I'm thinking that this unit might be the best bang for the buck. What do you guys who've listened to this player with CD's think?
sjhebert0374

Showing 1 response by mikesinger

it is a pretty good play for the money that responds well to tweeks (isolation, platform, pc - btw which almost cost as much as the player)...the redbook from this player is really, really good at any pricepoint..

there is a reliability issue with the transport on some of these units..btw, there have been 2 main board changes (the first version which ran really hot was the best sounding imo..)

would suggest a aa prima all in one or a used electro dac with a cheapie multiformat transport if relability is a factor....