Marantz SA14 vs. Shanling T-100 vs. Philips 1000

I would appreciate anyone’s feedback, especially from those who have compared at least two of these CD players or own one. I live in a geographic location where actual comparison-shopping is very difficult. I've read most all posts here in Audiogon as well many threads in AA on these units. I am looking for a player that plays back redbooks CD's well. SACD would just be an added bonus. My budget would permit me to have the Philips player modified. If I go with either of the other two, mods would have to wait a while. Of course the quality of sound if of utmost importance, I also value a unit that it built well with good reliability.

At this point, I’m leaning towards the Marantz, but would have to settle for a used piece, which really is not a problem. The Shanling is a very new product with very mixed reviews. I’m assuming that build quality and reliability as still up in the air. The Philips is a great buy right now while you can still get one since the unit has been discontinued. I feel that the build quality with the Philips is a notch below the Marantz and Shanling. I’m sure many of you would suggest the Sony XA777ES but it is really beyond my budget especially if I want to have it modified in the future. Besides I’ve been told that with normal redbook CD’s in stock form, the Sony would rank below all three.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
islandflyfisher

Showing 2 responses by rgd

Don't bother listening to Natalie - He has nevered offered any proof that he has ever heard the new Sony let alone a modded unit. Just review the recent thread where Bwhite
offered his opinions on cdps and Natalie in general.

Unfortunately I can't offer any opinion on these units as I have yet to hear them but advise you listen to those who have as opposed to those who beat their chests for attention...
BTW, you could inquire with Ric Shultz at www.tweakaudio.com as he is familiar with the stock Philips and the modded version and what their respective pros/cons are.