Marantz SA-8260--low output and fuzzy bass???

I sold my two-channel Marantz SA 14 ver.2 and replaced it with the Marantz SA 8260 because I wanted 5 channel capability. The later is $2000 cheaper than the former and I was expecting a slight drop in sound quality for redbook playback. Presentation in the mids and highs are much like the SA-14, in other words fine, but the bass response on the 8260 is so far hugely disappointing--organ pedal notes, for instance, are imprecise and fade in and out, as if the player can barely hold on to them. Does the player need more break-in time? What kind of modification would need to be done to improve this? The only alternative is the Sony XA9000ES back at $3K, but I worry about it's being called "honest" regarding Redbook playback. And owners of the Sony: how's the bass precision?
jdaniel18ee

Showing 1 response by cdjorgen

Hello. Recently pickup a used 8260 on e-bay. I am using 2 channel only. Its sounds fine to me and plenty of good base. Equipment; McIntosh 2275, Tannoy DC3, Tara RSC1800
speakers cables. The only thing I don't like about it is that it always defaults to multi-channel. Sounds like you have a defective model, shi.... happens