Marantz pm8006 vs Denon PMA-1700NE for combined home theatre and music room

Hi everyone,

I am looking at how I can combine stereo and surround sound in one AV system so I can switch between music and movies.

I have a Denon x3800h driving a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. I also have another room with some ceiling speakers that I want to drive from this room and will be used only for music.

I was thinking of using the x3800h for my Center Speaker, Surrounds and 4 Height Speakers. I was then thinking of running the fronts via pre-out to another amplifier which has a main-in/HT-bypass to drive the fronts whilst watching movies. If connected via a main-in, it converts the stereo amplifier into a power amp only with the Denon x3800 having full control over volume etc...

When listening to music, I have a Wiim Pro that would connect either direct to the stereo amplifier or via an outboard DAC and drive the fronts and/or a second zone in the other room.

Based on the above requirements I was looking for a stereo amplifier with both a main-in/HT-bypass and supports 2 speakers zones.

Via this very useful site, http://audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input I have narrowed my options down to The Marantz PM8006 and the Denon PMA-1700NE. 

Does anyone have an opinion on which would be best to provide good sound to my fronts for home theatre as well as good sound for music?

Thanks

cainullah

@stringreen 

Did you ever watch a movie before that had a soundtrack? You know, like Jurassic park, Star Wars, JAMES BOND? I agree YOU can't combine home theater and music, but for the rest of us its not a problem. LOL.

All, thanks so much for your time and effort to reply. As ever, there are a few differing opinions but all are valuable and give plenty of food for thought.

Having had the PM8006 and the Yamaha at my house for awhile, I personally preferred the Marantz. To me it was more musical and had the benefit of good tone controls when you wanted them including separate midrange or the capacity to run direct without tone controls. While I own other Yam gear, I found these new units to be clean but not engaging to my ears. YMMV.It could sound different with your speakers. Cant comment on the Denon. Not a HT guy but I do recall reading good reviews on a recent Anthem piece in Sterophile.

@cainullah +2 on considering an Anthem AVR I have the MRX series and I can attest to the the musicality of Anthem AVR's they sound much better than Marantz and Denon for music. The great thing about the MRX series is the main five channels are a/b 140 WPC and the MRX has the ability to create multiple profiles so you can assign two of the 140 WPC outputs to your second 2 channel listening area. You would in fact have a killer second listening area with the added bonus of top notch room correction.The Anthem 1140 MRX is a solid one box solution to your problem wihtout over complicating what you are seeking to do, plug in your WIIM Pro (don't use the built in "streaming") it is silly and overly complicated, go the true wireless route and simply use your Wiim, I have Wiims and love it.                 Anthem really is a cut above.