Marantz PM Ki Ruby and RME ADI 2 (Am I crazy?)

Hey guys,
My setup is node 2i > rme adi 2 dac > pm ki ruby > dynaudio special 40s.

All this while I’ve been using the RME as a dac and the marantz as pre and power.

while browsing some random stuff, I realised that the rme could also be used as a pre and the marantz just as a power amp. 

And of course, I tried.  But am I crazy to think that my system sounds better? The soundstage has widened , better imaging and overall improved sonics. Is this even possible or just my mind playing tricks? 
Please help, I’m losing it!! Lol
prashanth13485
“@mofojo sorry but can you please elaborate? I’m not very technical. I’ve left the reference volume on auto (-5db). The volume on the rme is around -25db to -40db. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks again for your help!”

The RME volume is digital. Once it gets down so far it starts to lose resolution or bits. Most content is 16 bit and I believe the RME is 32 bits so not sure how far down you would need to go for anything to be affected or if it would even be noticeable. I found the volume to be very transparent with no noticeable degradation.
 Try the loudness function as well. You can add bass and treble at low volume that gradually goes away as you turn it up. All configurable and pretty damn cool! 
op

@jjss49 is the power amp of the marantz as good as they come for the price or should I consider upgrading? If latter, do you have any recommendations?

your marantz integrated amp costs $4000

i think most really highly regarded stand-alone linestages would cost about that much in themselves, plus or minus a grand

as such i would say as a practical matter if you are hearing better sounding music running your rme dac straight into the power amp section of the marantz, just stick with that, and enjoy the music!

Indeed, I understand. The integrated is no sloutch. But sometimes strange  synergy kicks in. You'd expect the synergy to be in the pre of Marantz. But IF the DAC is meant to run to the amp, then it is connected the way it was voiced.. Next DAC probably won't. Hard to say
@jjss49 that makes sense. Until I can afford a dedicated pre amp with solid linestages, I’m just going to stick with this. And yes, I’m really enjoying this new sound signature. Thank you!
@mofojo thank you. Don’t think I’ve ever used the loudness feature. I’m going to go through the rme encyclopaedia (user manual) and play around with it.