Marantz PM 17SA v PM 8003

I need to decide on one of these in the next 18 hours My main conern is that I have heard the PM 17SA is pretty laidback sounding. I know the 8003 can rock and is dynamic as I had an 8004 at one time but what about the PM 17SA?? thanks
128x128geph0007

Showing 6 responses by paraneer

Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, its possible that the 2 amps may be very similar, but there's absolutely no reason why they can't sound completely different.
I believe that was exactly my point. I thought I was pretty clear meaning their power OUTPUT sections are almost identical so go with the amp that is better built as it is bound to sound better. As a Marantz Reference owner, thanks for reaffirming my point. Maybe I can do the same for you someday.
Tough one. At 60 vs 70 wpc into 8 ohms, the power output is negligible. So besides the obvious aesthetics, the PM 17SA is older and was built at Marantz' reference factory in Japan. The PM 8003 is newer and built in China.

Having a PM15s2 built at the reference factory, I can attest to the extreme quality of Marantz built there, so I would go with the PM 17SA.
I have no doubt it is a higher standard . I am just worried about it not doing justice to rock and blues.
Don't quite understand your concern. Since you worked in the audio biz, then you know that there is no difference between the 60 & 70 wpc. In fact, I checked the specs and both units are rated at 100 wpc into 4 ohms. So, their power amp sections are almost identical.
And since the PM 17sa is built to a higher standard, why wouldn't it sound better?
Your point is clear. It just doesn't make sense. If they're almost identical, then why would they sound different? Also, if they're almost identical, then why would the build quality be different?
Just because their power OUTPUT is almost identical, doesn't mean they can't sound very different because of build quality. Besides, in case you didn't know, these are integrated amps we are talking about. So there is a preamp section that has nothing to do with their power amp section. This can and often will radically change how an amp, given the same power OUTPUT, will sound.

Finally, these are also two different models - one made in Japan and the other made in China. That's why the build quality would be different. So, my point makes perfect sense.
So then you are talking about the performance of the amp by looking at the spec sheet. And now that you've clarified it, you're referring to power output only and not sound quality. That wasn't clear in your other posts.
Thanks for finally seeing it my way. I am somewhat surprised by why you couldn't see my point the very first time I posted it. I will repeat my exact quote again and note that I specified Power Amp Section. Further I said almost identical; not exactly.
In fact, I checked the specs and both units are rated at 100 wpc into 4 ohms. So, their power amp sections are almost identical.
And since the PM 17sa is built to a higher standard, why wouldn't it sound better?
Sorry if the above wasn't clear enough. I guess I should learn to write better or run the risk of soliciting your unwanted comments. Hopefully the OP knew what I meant though and from the sound of his last post, I believe he did.
After all, that's the most important part as it was his question that I provided a positive response to.
Thanks for letting us know which one you went with Geph. Now that you have experience with both and have noted the differences in their sound quality, which one do you like better. Are you happy with the PM 17's sound and keeping it?