Marantz NA8005

This has just been put up on the Marantz website and at $1199, it sounds like a steal. This is what I have been looking for to replace my laptop.
Main features of interest are :-
1. Front USB input for iPOD(redbook files) or memory stick for hirez files
2. Coax output to my non-DSD Esoteric K-01 digital input
3. DSD playback via back USB input
4. Analogue outputs to my preamp for DSD playback

Can't wait for a full review.
128x128jon2020

Showing 7 responses by jon2020

Milpai,

Yes, that should be interesting too but as you say, if it comes out. May take some time as the NA-11S1 has yet to run its course.
Here is a summary of my thoughts on the NA8005 collected from another thread.

I called up my local Marantz dealer last week to find out about the new network player NA8005. Lo and behold, they have it in the store on passive display. So I brought one home. At $1199 retail, it was worth a calculated risk since the first network player, the NA11S was well received by JA. The NA8005 piqued my interest for 2 reasons - one, it could play native dsd and hirez pcm files from a USB memory stick, and two, it has a coax digital output.

Once unpacked, set-up was a breeze for my primary objective of playing hirez files from a USB flash drive. So, no more computer and usb cables. It was simply connecting the 8005 to the K-01 coax input.

Fresh out of the box(I don't know if a network player would benefit from break-in), the sound emanating from the usb memory stick plugged into the front panel input, was in a word, glorious. If I was previously happy with hi-rez via the Esoteric's HRA player, I must say I am completely floored by what I heard in the first few minutes. It was incredible! I had this sudden epiphany of what hi-rez is all about. So, this is indeed how hi-rez should really sound like. It is truly that jaw-dropping. All I can say is that with usb flash memory as source, coupled to the K-01's DAC section, there are gobs of detail, and yet, oh so silky smooth. Not only that, the soundstage opened up while notes floated effortlessly beyond the speaker boundaries in width, depth and height. Bass is prodigious without being boomy, while highs are airier and more extended. As for the midrange, it's either "you are there" or "she is in your living room" sort of thing. Transients are as impactful as they should be while dynamic range between soft and loud passages is widened by quite a large margin. Finally, it all has to be musical and indeed it is as musical as it gets - the complete antithesis of "analytical". The 8005 is not partial to any genre, serving out classical, jazz, blues or rock in equal measure. As the cliché goes, it doesn't get any better than this. There is not an iota of dryness that might have been suggested of the K-01 in the past.

For this minimalist set-up, no computer or software interface is needed. The player just reads off the data from the flash drive and the artist, album, track, file type and sampling rate info are all shown on the display.
I do not intend to use the network/streaming function as that would entail the use of a computer with usb and ethernet cabling to the home broadband modem/router. Any of this along the signal path introduces jitter to some degree.

One huge plus in ditching the computer is the handheld remote that allows you to scroll through all your music folders and files instead of having to get off the chair and use the mouse to open them. Of course you can use the app on your smartphone or tablet to control the player but then you need a wireless connection to your computer for this. I personally prefer to turn off all wireless connections during playback.

Caveats :-
Only usb drives formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 are supported. Unfortunately, NTFS formatted SSD/disk drives cannot be played by the NA8005. If you wish to play from an NAS or SSD/disk drive via your computer, you need to use the internal dac. All computer usb connections need to go through the internal dac and then via analog outputs to the preamp. To connect directly to your own dac, only usb flash drives plugged into the front or rear panel ports allow digital output.

To everyone into computer audio, try to bring an NA8005 home for an audition or, like me, just buy it. You can finally bid goodbye to computer interfaces, hard disk drives, background noise, etc.

Happy listening!
Scott,
I have now played 24/88, 24/96, 24/176 and 24/192 files through the Marantz dac and am delighted to report that they all sound superb compared to routing the signal out to the coaxial input of the Esoteric K-01 dac section.
Simply amazing - the Marantz dac is in no way embarrassed by the Esoteric dac. Enjoy!
Justubes2,
For internet streaming, the digital signal needs to go through the internal dac of the Marantz. To output to an external dac like the K-01, only a usb flash drive plugged into the usb-a port on the front panel can do this. The rear panel actually(my apologies) sports only a usb-b port for the computer.
Digital out is supported only from a usb flash drive plugged into the front panel usb-a port. SSD drives are not supported this way. They need to go via a computer to the Marantz's usb input and thence through its internal dac.
Justubes,
The usb thumbdrive transmits dsd and pcm data all the way to 24/192 to its internal dac. Ditto for usb input from a computer. For spdif coaxial out to an external dac, pcm data to 24/192 can be transmitted. Dsd data can't get through via spdif, only via usb.
Cheers! J.