Marantz DV-9500: Anyone Listened to it or Bought?

Hello all,
Has anyone listened to or bought one of these lately?
If so:
How did it sound on each of the formats?
How was the video?
Is it superior to the Marantz DV-8400 on each of the formats, and in what ways?
If so, is it a small improvement over the DV-8400 or a significant improvement?
Finally, how does it compare on all formats to other similarly priced players?
Thanks a million!
daltonlanny

Showing 4 responses by daltonlanny

EARS,
Is there any way or anywhere that we can obtain the British, German, or French reviews of the Onkyo DV-SP1000?
Any place where the French and German reviews have been partially or fully translated to English?
Thanks alot.
Yes I did purchase an Onkyo DV-SP1000 a couple of weeks ago.
The build, video, transport, and sound are all superb...BUT...after I let it break in for a couple of weeks, its just a tad too laid back sounding for my tastes.
Some people will love this quality because of its lack of harshness or brightness, and its outstanding smoothness.
I just personally like a slightly more forward, open, and slightly livelier sound. I used to own a Pioneer DV-47Ai.
The Onkyo has a smoother more laid back sound, and the Pioneer had a livelier and slightly more upfront sound. The SACD and CD performance is better overall on the Onkyo, but the Pioneer is better for DVD-Audio. The picture on the Onkyo is also slightly better.
I will probably sell the Onkyo and search for a unit that better suits my personal tastes in audio reproduction.
Hope this helps.
Lanny
Guys,
Basically what I am really searching hard for is the very best 2 channel DVD-Audio performance for $2,000.00 or less.
DVD-Audio is currently my favorite format [besides analog] for music reproduction. As you can probably tell from my other threads, I am a HUGE fan of this format.
I am looking for the best resolution, detail, openness, focus, and aliveness on this format for $2,000 or less.
Thanks.
I have reservations about the McCormack after reading the "Measurements" sections of the Stereophile review of it.