Marantz AV7005 or Oppo 105

I'm considering two different paths to upgrade my hybrid home theater - 2 channel system. Either get a higher-end pre-pro like the marantz av7005, or an Oppo 105.

Here's what I currently have:
Marantz SR7001 receiver
Sony BDP S550 bluray
Marantz SA8004 sacd/dac
Logitech Squeezebox touch
Google chromecast
Cambridge Audio 840a V2 integrated amp

Speakers are:
Mains: B&W CM7
The rest are JBL Northridge series
E250 sub, EC35 center, and E10 surrounds

The main LR speakers are connected to the Cambridge, which acts as the power amp while using the receiver. SA8004 is connected analog to the Cambridge, and the 8004 also acts as the dac for the Logitech. Bluray and chromecast go in HDMI to the receiver.

If I went with the oppo upgrade, it would replace the 8004 and the Sony, whereas replacing the receiver with the prepro I could potentially get rid of the 8004 also and update the bluray with a SACD-compatible one.

My goals:
2 channel (no subwoofer) listening at the same or higher quality than the current 8004-Cambridge chain. I should say that I am VERY HAPPY with my current 2-channel setup.

Higher quality HT audio, either from the improved processing of a prepro, or of the Oppo.

Get my feet wet in multichannel audio. Currently my SACD listening is done in stereo only.

I listen to stereo classical music, and watch bluray movies, and stream netlfix et al through the chromecast.

Of course going with a prepro would necessitate the purchase of a 3-channel amp, most likely something like an Acurus, or possibly a very modest 2-channel for the surrounds and a beefier mono for the center. Or maybe even ditching the Cambridge all together if the 2 channel performance of the prepro is on par with it.
markhyams

Showing 2 responses by hgeifman

I purchased the Oppo Digital 105 for my two channel system and like it very much. The Oppo replaced my Ayre CX-7eMP CD player. I also purchased a small Samsung monitor (12" high) to connect to the Oppo. The Oppo 105 requires an external monitor so you can control it. The Oppo also automatically connects to the Gracenote database that displays your CD's album information. I am running it balanced into my integrated amplifier.

I also like to stream music from Pandora on my Oppo. I really like to enter the name of one of my CD albums into Pandora and it builds a music stream of similar music. Rhapsody is another streaming option but I am not using it (costs $10 per month).

Another option is to play music from a USB Flash drive.

The Oppo has many input and output options. I suggest you give the Oppo a listen. I highly recommended it.
For more information on the Oppo 105, please see the link below for the "Unofficial OPPO BDP-103 Frequently Asked Questions" Guide:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

I found it very useful in setting up my Oppo 105.