Marantz 8802 pure mode question

Though the marantz manual doesn’t state this clearly based on my listening tests it appears when I go pure or pure direct, the processor no longer sends signals to my powered subs. Am I correct here or am I doing something wrong?  I know the audyssey reduced SACD DSD streams down to 48khz so wanted to do some cd to sacd comparisons as best as possible with the highest fidelity to see if with my current setup they are worth seeking out. 

esthlos13

"Pure Direct" modes will typically "bypass all processing". This means that it will decode and send audio directly to outputs based on the source content. An example would be that if source content is 2-channel PCM, you will only get left/right (regardless of the fact that it could be Dolby ProLogic encoded). The "bypass all processing" can also include the ability to split/crossover any speakers to subwoofers. The crossovers splits are all done in DSP, which is essentially "processing". Sometimes, the "bypass all processing" can include the ability to adjust different levels for each speaker - which means that if you have a very quiet or low efficiency center channel, the Pure Direct mode may not automatically increase center channel level to match left/right.

I would also assume that "Pure Direct’ mode bypasses any Audyssey correction/processing as well.

So so I finally located a chart in the manual on page 318. It appears on can use the subs in direct or pure direct mode if they are set to LFE+main.  so playing with that a bit but things sound quite different since the  Audyssey is not applied.  Certainly not very convenient since I typically do not want lfe+main.   Would be really cool if they could apply something like what the jl audio CR-1 with respect to subwoofer crossovers and controls.