Marantz 6011 or Anthem MRX 720?

I'm looking to upgrade my Yamaha Adventage RX1010. While it sounds great for movies, I've never been happy with it for music. In addition, it doesn't allow for independent setup of dual subwoofers and the zone 2 is broken. 

For the new receiver, I'm particularly interested in Dolby Atmos and music performance. I'm only interested in Atmos 5.2.2 configurations because it's impossible to run wiring in my house unless the roof is removed (no attic, concrete slab). I'm using Gallo Strada 2s for the front channels, Gallo micros for the surrounds, and two Gallo subs. I also need the receiver to be less than 18 inches deep.

I've narrowed the choices down to the Marantz 6011 and the Anthem 720. I suspect the Anthem will sound better for music, but question whether it will sound $1,200 better.
baffler65

Showing 2 responses by wolfernyc

did you ever make a choice?

I'm considering an Anthem 720 to replace a Marantz 5009.  I don't like the lack of EQ control if you use audessy.  And I also hate that the marantz just stores one audio setup. I'd like the ability to switch between a few presets so I can tailor things for different purposes.  The 6011 seems to have some of this but but if I upgrade, I probably don't want another marantz.  I do like my unit's direct pure mode for vinyl and cd's.