Marantz 2270 + B&W DM2000: What subwoofer?

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster!

In the past year I've bought a Marantz 2270 receiver, and had it restored to new. I've had the extreme luck to be given a pair of B&W DM2000 (the ones with the pentagonal shape) by someone who just wanted to get rid of them.

The current set-up sounds good as it is, but I can tell something is missing. When I listen to other setups that tend to run for $1k+, I'm usually blown away by the clarity and definition of the sound that I hear. Maybe I am biased against my own gear (the grass is always greener on the other side), but I feel like there's something I could do to make this sound better.

Would I benefit from purchasing a subwoofer? I've done some research and come to the conclusion that I need an active sub, as I do not want to buy another amplifier just to be able to run it. If so, which active sub would pair well with the Marantz amp and the B&W speakers? I am open minded to suggestions, and if something interesting came up with a passive subwoofer, I would not turn it down.

Info:
- My budget for a sub is approximately $500. Willing to go a little bit higher if it's worth it.
- Currently residing in France.
- Would rather have the sub be vintage, so as to follow the rest of my gear.
- I listen to absolutely everything, from Metallica to Eminem, from Michael Jackson to Daft Punk, from Creedence Clearwater Revival to Queen. If possible, I'd like a sub that has flexibility.

I know those are a lot of restrictions, so please feel free to work around them. Thanks a lot!

~a grateful reader
funkymojovibes

Showing 2 responses by ct0517

Hi Funky

I bought DM2000's new years ago. I still have them - well I should say my brother now uses them. You need an amp with more quality power like your marantz - IMO. They will work with your amp but they will not perform their best. here is the info on them. Scroll down to dm2000.

http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/bw-archive#ID_DMSeries

Unless they have been abused which is hard to do because they have a protector that shuts them down if you overload them (i.e. overloaded low power amp - not enough headroom). My brother has probably activated the circuit at least 10 times when he wails them out on something like Pink Floyd. 30 years ago I used to use an Onkyo 5060r and matching preamp. I have never owned a pair of B&W that needed work done on speakers surrounds. Regardless of age.

IMO - If you plan on keeping the speakers I would try another amp first - then sub/s only if needed due to maybe their lack of synergy with the room they are in. How big is the room. With the right gear they are full range. 20 - 22hz.

See if you can borrow a quality 200 wpc amp from someone to see how they sound this way first. You will be surprised.
Have fun with them - Cheers
Hi Funky – the key word here I think is borrow instead of buy. Try to find an audio dealer or friend who will lend you an amp for a couple of days to listen to with them. I always try to see what I can get out of the speakers first in a room on their own before I add subs. Adding subs properly takes time and a lot of patience.

As a general rule for a solid state amp – if it is i.e. – 80 wpc at 8 ohms. I want to see 160 or close to it at 4 OHMS on the spec sheet. A doubling. Or I walk away. The B&W’s dip below 8 ohms in regular use. The speakers are 87 db which is the same sensitivity as my 801s. A good tube amp of 80 -100 watts will also work but needs to be tried.

There is a bulb right next to the B&W badge on front. It may be burnt out. From what I can remember when the circuit was activated they shut down for quite some time making you think you had blown them. They take a long time to reset.

Pink Floyd – The Wall - Comfortably Numb. Not the vinyl but only the CD – something in the way it was engineered.
At 4:30 onwards in the song, as it reaches crescendo, something would make his amp send a signal causing his DM2000’s to activate the circuit when played really loud. I would then get a call “I think I blew the speakers”.
he is still using them and it has been over 15 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpzxf_flm8M