Many higher end preamps are dated and ugly, why is this?

Conrad Johnson, BAT, VTL are all very good preamplifiers, they are dated and just ugly.  Audio research is a prettier amplifier but it's not very well regarded due to it sounding more like a solid state, ie. Not really a tube preamp despite all those internal lightbulbs.

Cheaper preamps can be more pretty. Schitt makes a pretty preamp for about $1000. People like pretty.

D'Agostino by many is viewed as very attractive but kind of weird. 

jumia

That classe stuff embodies everything i hate about US design.

Sharp edges and corners- terrible feng shui. Ye olde tourist trappe script- urgh.

Oversize faceplates, rack mounts that noone uses, unsoftened brutalism throughout, no. Just no

My Rogers integrated and phono pre look so cool that several female non-audiophiles have said, “ooh” and “ahh”.  This was unprecedented in my experience.  It also contributes to domestic harmony.   

PS Audio equipment are designed to look nice, compatible with each other & look  like high quality gear, equipment.  Buy, all!. 

Cary is very nice but the problem is it doesn’t offer a fully functional remote. How stupid is that what is wrong with these guys?