''Manuf. warranty '' with non-authorized vendor ?

I have come across a dealer selling gear that they claim have full manufacturer warranty on them. What if you find out from the MANUFACTURER that this dealer in question is not an authorized vendor? Would you buy anyways?
sonicbeauty

Showing 1 response by tim916

This whole authorized v. unauthorized dealer business is BS, IMO. The manufacturers are just as responsible for this problem as the "unauthorized" dealers. It's not hard for a vendor to find out who's selling their products and how those products got to those dealers.

The truth is that some manufacturers don't want to sacrifice sales by having a strictly policed distribution channel so they basically create two categories of distribution - authorized and unauthorized. They sell unwarrantied product at a discount to distributors who then sell them to unauthorized dealers. I can think of several top tier electronics manufacturers who participate in this sort of practice.

IMO, it's a bit myopic because you are certainly not building brand loyalty by denying a customer (who may have been lied to by the dealer) warranty service. I guess that's what it takes to compete in CE.