Manley Snapper or VTL ST 150

..to drive 87-89 dB Avalon or JM Lab speakers via passive McCormack preamp. If anyone can quickly tell me what to expect from both in terms of tonality and key strengths/weaknesses, that would be really appreciated. Trying to find the muscle of SS amps with immediacy of tubes.
beheme

Showing 3 responses by jc51373

I don't see how anyone could that strings were, in any way, inaccurately represented by VTL. Maybe it wasn't the VTL you were hearing, because this is a strong-suit for VTL.

I personally have listened to the st-150 and the st-85, in home for extended periods, and the one characteristic that stood out to me most was string instruments, and mid-range to upper mid-range. So my experience was quite the opposite on different speakers of course-805s and Wilson Benesch ARCs . Both of these monitors sound simply incredible with both of these amps behind them.

In fact, these amps sound much better than the previous $10K SS amp I had in my system prior to them.
Jdec, I am actually running it in tetrode since everytime I use triod it blows a fuse in the right channel of the amp. I suppose it needs a new tube or something, but since it is a dealer demo I don't care. It sounds awesome in tetrode and I am told better in triode?
I disagree...I have had very good experience with VTL customer service. No different than any other positive experience I have had with any other manufacturer.

Luke has called me on the phone and taken the time to work with me on a very personal level. In fact, I would say quite the opposite and say they have been about the best HiFi vendor I have dealt with of all.