Manley 300B Preamplifier

Hello music lovers,
I have a pair of Manley 300B SE/PP Neo-Classic and a pair of Jm Lab Mini Utopia and looking for a very good preamp for my set-up someone can tell me about the sonic characteristics of the 300B Manley preamplifier? Is it a good choice? Is it a very good preamp? Thanks in advance!
gryfon762

Showing 4 responses by biomimetic

Manley seems to have solved a lot of the inherent probs of thhe 300b with that preamp... High power, sweetness, and none of the drawbacks of using it as the output power tube.
It's funny - most of the "typical" weaknesses are absent, but most of the "typical" strengths are present in the preamp. Not to mention the couple of different headphone settings.
Jaytea - 300b's are noisy, midrangey tubes by their nature. I'm surprised you didn't mention the two headphone jacks or using them? Some people say the Manley stuff is dark, but I just find it to be that pro gear quality "no crap in the background" lack of contamination. So the 300b's get in the way of that a bit. I could live with the 300b nature, given the over gestalt. Dark isn't exactly the word I would use I guess. I'm a big Airtight fan actually, but "quiet" is not really one of the words I would use to descibe their stuff. Didn't you post something about your ATM-2 being "buzzy"? Airtight always seems a little hissy ...I mean "airy". So the noise issue seems secondary to me.