Mandolin music

Have not had any free time to play on ag for a time. Need to ask a question.

I was with the flu a month or 2 ago and while asleep on the couchIheard amosbeautiful song from a man named Marty Setwart ( I think ) It was on Austin City Limits I think? Couldnt tell you the name of the song or any details, (had some really great cough syrup from the dr.)
Decided then I needed to learn to play this instrument.
My father in-law has already did the bluegrass thing 20 yrs ago and I like bluegrass but not what I'm after.

I like the sound of Heart, and some alt.country sounds but would like to expand my horizions. Dont really like the celt or even the Jethro Tull sound but I can appreciate good or original good music.

Dont know what I am really after, not something to try to replicate playing im still learning chords and runs. ( but I do play a vintage Gibson lp and a tube marshall)

Kind of likespacey hipnotic music, alt.rock, alt.country or anything really cool or in great taste.

FleeceNaveDa

Kelton
kelton

Showing 1 response by 914nut

I'm interested primarily in classical music, chamber in particular, but to "broaden my horizons" I've started to consider bluegrass. In response to a review, in The Audiophile Voice, of "So Long of a Journey" by a band called Hot Rize, I bought the CD and really enjoy it. The four members are all great musicians, but you asked about mandolin so I'll mention Tim O'Brien, who plays that instrument and "fiddle", as someone you might enjoy also.

Since I'm brand new to this music, I can't be of much help in suggesting other recordings. In fact, I might ask for recommendations myself. I don't want anything without a natural acoustic soundstage and imaging, however. The Hot Rize CD is terrific from that standpoint, as well as the musicianship. I'd like to find others that compare favorably.
jp