Making a product to sell and the need for modernity

A long time ago, I saw a picture showing Focal's marketing rep talking to dealers. He proclaimed the Focal Sopra to be the best speaker ever, or something like that. In the picture he's showing a slide talking about the dimensions across which they weigh a new product, as well as how the sell it.

There were several dimensions which had nothing to do with sound quality, such as aesthetics, cost, etcetera and one of those dimensions has stuck with me ever since: modernity. The perception that a product is cutting edge.

Keep in mind, this is about perception, not function. The idea is that to sell a new speaker I have to convince you, the buyer, that you are buying something that is as up to date as possible. A related marketing dimension would be "novelty." That I have something for sale others do not.

Anyone who has shopped around for gear for more than a week knows what this means. Every quarter there are new products, which claim modernity and novelty. And every year I am struck by how few of these alleged innovations stick with us, or fail to prove themselves as ending all previous designs of the type.

Over the last 20 years, what modern or novel approach have you seen which has truly advanced in the marketplace, or which you think is under or over appreciated?

Best,

E
erik_squires

Showing 2 responses by tobor007

" even now the vast majority still fails to include wire and power right up there with speakers "

The "vast majority" who enjoy this hobby, probable have a good reason for that. It's not that most haven't done some research or are ignorant to this subject. And most include some of these products, perhaps at a more modest price with good results. I'm not sure of the relative expense (wire to speakers) you are talking about, but (IMO) if you have good quality, basic power cables and the budget to upgrade, wire will not come close to better speakers. I understand if you do have problems with noise in your system, this must addressed first, but usually can be done at a modest price. Way more diminishing returns on wire than speakers. Cables and wire should be matched to your particular components, neutral and noise free. 
Could be passion for me. I sold my wife's Tibetan Mastiff  puppy to help pay for my Wilson speakers. I figure she will get the house, but I will get the speakers. Should sound ok in my new studio apartment?